Harish Ramakrishna, M.D., is a cardiovascular anesthesiologist with a keen interest in perioperative and cardiovascular outcomes research. He is the vice chair of research in the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at Mayo Clinic's campus in Arizona.
Dr. Ramakrishna has additional research and clinical interests in the areas of cardiovascular and thoracic anesthesia, heart transplantation, mechanical assist device therapy, perioperative echocardiography, and interventional outcomes in structural heart disease.
- Clinical decision-making in perioperative echocardiography. Dr. Ramakrishna has published extensively on approaches to complex valve lesions in the operating room for the perioperative echocardiographer.
- Transesophageal echocardiography. Dr Ramakrishna is the co-editor of a comprehensive textbook of transesophageal echocardiography.
- Transcatheter valve replacement. Dr. Ramakrishna conducts outcomes research and meta-analyses.
- Cardiac rhythm disorders. Dr. Ramakrishna is particularly interested in disorders of the QT interval.
- Heart and lung transplantation and outcomes.
- Optimal management strategies for myocardial ischemia management in patients with severe renal disease.
- Outcomes research and meta-analyses in anti-thrombotic therapy for coronary stent implantation.
Significance to patient care
Dr. Ramakrishna conducts studies that translate to the patient and clinical setting. By exploring novel therapies for cardiovascular and other conditions, Dr. Ramakrishna's research results in improved treatment and outcomes for patients.
Through his collaborations with cardiologists and anesthesiologists in the United States and internationally, Dr. Ramakrishna hopes to enhance the understanding of outcomes of complex cardiovascular conditions and their perioperative management — both in and outside of the operating room.
- Member, Surgeons Member Section Leadership Council, American College of Cardiology, 2016-present
- Recipient, Who's Who in Science and Engineering, "Who's Who in America," 2016-2017
- Section editor, Expert Review, Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, 2014-present
- Cardiology editor, Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia, 2013-present
- Recipient, Who's Who in America, "Who's Who in America," 2012, 2014, 2015
- Recipient, Top doctor in Phoenix, Arizona award, International Association of Anesthesiologists, 2010
- Recipient, Best Doctors in America Award, Best Doctors, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012