The research interests of Sandhya Pruthi, M.D., include chemoprevention of breast cancer using selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERMs), such as tamoxifen and raloxifene; aromatase inhibitors; and alternative therapies in women who are at increased risk of breast cancer.
Dr. Pruthi has been the principal investigator at Mayo Clinic for several nationwide multicenter breast cancer chemoprevention trials; these are interdisciplinary efforts with the Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center. She is also actively involved in cancer education for both patients and health care providers.
- Chemoprevention of breast cancer
- Biomarkers for early detection of breast cancer and breast cancer risk assessment in women at high risk of breast cancer
- Molecular markers present in nipple aspirate, blood and urine that might be useful for diagnosing breast cancer
In addition, Dr. Pruthi has been the principal investigator of several complementary and alternative therapy trials, including studies of flaxseed for hot flash management, vitamin E and evening oil of primrose for management of cyclical mastalgia, and yoga exercise in women newly diagnosed with breast cancer.
Significance to patient care
The significance of Dr. Pruthi's research is that it aims to improve the identification and management of high-risk women. The knowledge and understanding gained from conducting clinical trials to study new medications or therapies in women at increased risk of breast cancer will lead to significant impact in improving patient care by being able to individualize risk-reducing strategies based on the level of breast cancer risk.
Additionally, Dr. Pruthi's research in complementary and alternative therapies will improve the quality of care for breast cancer survivors.
- President, Board of Trustees, National Consortium of Breast Centers, Inc.
- Spirit of Collaboration Award, Minnesota Cancer Alliance
- Distinguished Service in Cancer Education: Professional Award, Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center Education Network
- Board Member and Executive Committee Member, American Society of Breast Disease
- Program Director, Breast Cancer Screening Outreach Project/Navigator Program, funded by the National Breast Cancer Foundation