John (Jack) C. O'Horo, M.D., conducts research in leveraging information technology tools to improve the bedside care of patients — particularly those with infectious and critical illnesses.
- Detection and prevention of hospital-acquired infections such as ventilator-associated events, bloodstream infections and catheter-associated urinary tract infection
- Epidemiology and prevention of bloodstream infection in left ventricular assist device (LVAD) infections
- Communication and educational tools to improve and standardize care in the initial approach of patients with critical illnesses
Significance to patient care
The early identification of nosocomial infections and at-risk patients allows intervention before harm can result. By improving real-time detection and simultaneously using targeted quality improvement interventions, patients can get home and back to their normal lives more quickly.
- Fellow, American College of Physicians, 2016
- Co-investigator, Checklist for Early Recognition and Treatment of Acute Illness and Injury, 2014-present