Donald W. Northfelt, M.D., is active in conducting clinical trials in breast cancer and also helps coordinate phase I and survivorship cancer clinical trials at Mayo Clinic in Arizona. He participates in foundationwide efforts in these areas.
- Studies of postoperative therapies to reduce breast cancer relapse risk (adjuvant treatment)
- Studies of treatments for metastatic breast cancer, especially "targeted" therapies
- Studies of genomic factors that may guide treatment decisions in breast cancer
- Studies of new drug therapies for a broad range of cancer indications in phase I clinical trials
- Studies of physical activity interventions and their impact in cancer survivorship
Significance to patient care
The overall aim of Dr. Northfelt's research is to improve breast cancer survival rates by reducing relapse risk and more effectively controlling advanced cancer when it cannot be cured.