As a physician-scientist at Mayo Clinic, Vivek Kumbhari, M.B.Ch.B., Ph.D., is an internationally recognized researcher in advanced endoscopy and endoscopic innovations with a highly cited body of published research.
Dr. Kumbhari's scientific research focus is on eliciting the underlying mechanisms of metabolic change observed after bariatric surgery and methods of liver-directed gene delivery. His clinical research focuses on novel endoscopic techniques to treat patients with obesity and complications after bariatric surgery. He has been the principal investigator on multiple active and completed research grants.
- Studying retrograde organ-directed gene delivery using hydrodynamic injection
- Evaluating the influence of the gastric mucosa on appetite, glucose and lipid homeostasis, and body weight
- Utilizing human enteroids as a model to personalize therapy for patients with obesity and related metabolic diseases
- Investigating endoluminal innovations to treat obesity and associated comorbidities
- Exploring endoluminal innovations to treat complications of surgery
Significance to patient care
Translating what has been learned from research into clinically relevant therapies is a passion of Dr. Kumbhari and his team. Using preclinical models, Dr. Kumbhari explores novel approaches to fill unmet needs for patients with obesity, as well as those with single-gene disorders of the liver, pancreas and kidney.