Shahyar (Michael) M. Gharacholou, M.D., has research and clinical interests in acute and chronic ischemic heart disease, peripheral artery disease and valvular heart disease. With additional fellowship training in geriatric medicine, Dr. Gharacholou studies the intersection of frailty and geriatric syndromes with cardiovascular disease.
- Interventional cardiology
- Endovascular management of peripheral artery disease
Significance to patient care
Coronary artery disease remains a significant cause of morbidity and mortality. In addition to providing interventional care for patients with acute coronary syndromes, Dr. Gharacholou focuses on preventive cardiology and reducing risk of new or subsequent cardiovascular events. With Dr. Gharacholou's overlapping interest in geriatrics, the evaluation and management of older adults with multimorbidity and cardiac problems remains a focus of his clinical care.
- Transradial Workgroup member, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, 2012-2015
- Recipient, Grant Project for Assessment of Frailty and Health Status, Eagles Foundation, 2014
- Reviewer, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, American Heart Journal, Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, American Journal of Medicine