Eoin P. Flanagan, M.B., B.Ch., is a neurologist who conducts research in transverse myelitis, neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders, paraneoplastic and other autoimmune neurological disorders of the central nervous system. He has additional research interests in multiple sclerosis and spinal cord sarcoidosis.
Dr. Flanagan studies the clinical, imaging patterns and antibody associations of autoimmune and inflammatory diseases of the spinal cord (myelitis) and their mimics. He is also interested in autoimmune disorders of the brain (encephalitis), optic nerve (optic neuritis) and related disorders (multiple sclerosis).
- Myelitis. Dr. Flanagan has established a reputation as an expert in spinal cord diseases. He has studied MRI patterns of transverse myelitis, neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders, multiple sclerosis and their mimics (spinal cord sarcoidosis). Dr. Flanagan is also interested in studying the novel autoantibodies that are associated with autoimmune spinal cord diseases (myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein autoantibody-associated demyelinating diseases).
- Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders (NMOSDs). Dr. Flanagan studies the epidemiology and the clinical, imaging and laboratory attributes and treatment of NMOSDs.
- Autoimmune and paraneoplastic neurologic disorders. Dr. Flanagan studies the epidemiology, clinical and radiologic features and treatment responses of autoimmune and paraneoplastic diseases of the central nervous system, including autoimmune dementia and autoimmune encephalitis.
Significance to patient care
The goal of Dr. Flanagan's research is to allow physicians to diagnose underlying causes of spinal cord disease more quickly and accurately. Early accurate diagnosis and treatment of spinal cord disease reduces disability and complications from delay in diagnosis or incorrect treatments.
- Recipient, travel award, American Neurological Association annual meeting, 2009, 2015
- Recipient, Department of Neurology Annual Research Award, 2013
- Recipient, Woltman Award for Clinical Excellence in Neurology, Mayo Clinic, 2012
- Recipient, Mayo Brothers Distinguished Fellowship Award, Mayo Clinic, 2012