The research focus of David A. Etzioni, M.D., is on the appropriate use of information to reflect outcomes for surgical patients in the U.S. He is a national expert on the measurement, analysis and interpretation of surgical outcomes data.
Specific ongoing efforts include:
- Assessment of the accuracy of administrative versus registry data for ascertaining postoperative complications
- Understanding the impact of alternative payment mechanisms on the delivery of surgical care
- Characterizing different mechanisms (including the strengths and weaknesses) used to publicly report surgical outcomes
Significance to patient care
Patients, providers and policymakers are aligned in their desire to have access to accurate and meaningful surgical outcomes data. The processes currently used to generate this data, however, have flaws that can lead to misinterpretation and bias. It is only through careful and continuous examination of the processes that generate outcomes data that the promise of "big data" can be fulfilled.
- Physician of the Year, Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America Southwest Chapter, 2016
- Author, "Association of Hospital Participation in a Surgical Outcomes Monitoring Program With Inpatient Complications and Mortality," JAMA, 2015