Bart M. Demaerschalk, M.D., specializes in research in ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes, cerebrovascular diseases, regional stroke systems of care, stroke centers, thrombolysis, mechanical thrombectomy, carotid revascularization, stroke in young adult, patent foramen ovale, arterial dissection, emergency neurology, evidence-based medicine, telemedicine, telestroke, and digital health care. His research approaches include systematic reviews and meta-analyses, randomized controlled trials, observational studies, and health economic analysis.
- Carotid artery revascularization and intensive medical management for carotid stenosis. Investigating how carotid endarterectomy, carotid angioplasty and stenting, along with medical management, may prevent stroke in patients with severe carotid stenosis.
- Telestroke and prehospital ambulance telestroke (mobile stroke units). Researching the clinical and economic benefit of field assessment and treatment of patients with stroke prior to their ambulance transport to a hospital in the context of regional and national telestroke networks.
- Teleneonatology. Evaluating how emergency robotic telemedicine neonatal resuscitation may help to save the lives of neonates born in cardiorespiratory distress at hospitals without neonatal intensive care services.
- Digital health. Developing the research agenda and advancing the scientific field of digital health care.
- Video telemedicine to home. Investigating the diagnostic accuracy of provisional diagnoses offered after a video telemedicine visit to home across medical and surgical specialties.
- Hospital neurology in sub-Saharan Africa. Exploring advances in assessment and treatment of patients in coma, stroke and epilepsy in medically underserviced and under-resourced hospitals in developing nation.
Significance to patient care
Dr. Demaerschalk's research in stroke and stroke systems, digital health care, and telemedicine serves to reduce morbidity and mortality, improve access to expert care, increase efficiency of practice, reduce health care expenditures, and ultimately drive value in medicine.
- Fellow and board member, American Telemedicine Association, 2017-present
- Distinguished Clinician, Mayo Clinic, 2013
- Public Health Service Award, Arizona Medical Association and Arizona Department of Health Services, 2013
- Distinguished Educator Award, Mayo Clinic, 2011