Asher A. Chanan-Khan, M.D. is dedicated to advancing and discovering treatments for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), Waldenstrom macroglobulinemia, and multiple myeloma. He works very closely with both his clinical and research staff to support and improve the quality of life of these patients.
For over a decade, Doctor Chanan-Khan has been engaged both in the development of novel therapeutics (the branch of medicine that deals with the treatment and cure of diseases) and extensive laboratory research. His expertise is in preclinical target validation and drug evaluation directed towards early phase clinical trials.
Doctor Chanan-Khan has actively contributed to the development of immunomodulating drugs (thalidomide and its analogs) in both CLL and multiple myeloma. In CLL, he is credited for introducing lenalidomide and defining its potential as a new therapeutic. In addition, he has been actively involved in the evaluation of other promising agents through phase I and II trials. In multiple myeloma, he has been involved in the development of various therapeutics (alone and in combinations) including proteasome inhibitors (bortezomib, carfilzomib) along with novel monoclonal antibodies. These efforts remain the focus of his continued research.
Doctor Chanan-Khan has been principal investigator or co-principal investigator on numerous clinical trials for patients with these disorders and has authored more than 200 publications related to CLL and multiple myeloma.
He serves in leadership roles on several Mayo Clinic, national and international committees relating to these diseases.
- Experimental therapeutics in CLL and multiple myeloma
- Phase I drug development in B-cell hematologic malignancies
- Preclinical models of drug resistance in multiple myeloma
- Targeting Bcl-2 in B-cell malignant disorders
- Preclinical and clinical evaluation of Immunomodulating agents (IMiDs)
- Monoclonal antibody therapies in multiple myeloma
- Preclinical models of Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia
Significance to patient care
Chaired by Doctor Chanan-Khan, the Division of Hematology/Oncology, at Mayo Clinic in Florida is committed to developing new therapies for malignancies including CLL and multiple myeloma. Doctor Chanan-Khan is constantly striving to move this research forward in an effort to offer hope for these high-risk disease patients while never losing sight that all patients are to be treated with compassion and respect.
- America's Top Doctors, US News, 2013
- America's Top Doctors, US News, 2012
- Chair, American Society of Clinical Oncology, Scientific Program Committee, 2010-2011
- Best Doctors in America Award, Castle Connolly, 2010
- Best Doctors in America Award, Castle Connolly, 2009
- Scholar in Clinical Research, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, 2007
- Best Doctors in America Award, Castle Connolly, 2007
- America's Top Doctors for Cancer Award, Castle Connolly, 2005
- Clinician with the Best Bedside Manners, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York, 2004