Since 2005, I have served as Principal Investigator of the NHLBI/NIH-funded Lung Tissue Research Consortium Radiology Center (LTRC); and was the principal architect of the radiology portion of the LTRC protocol manual.
As the principal investigator, I was primarily responsible the operations of the Radiology Center and one of the three readers of the more than 3,000 CT scans analyzed by the LTRC.
My clinical area of expertise is thoracic radiology, with subspecialty practice in Division of Thoracic Radiology at Mayo Clinic. I hold an appointment in the Mayo Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering and in that role mentor students and advise other researchers in the Mayo Biomedical Imaging Resource regarding image processing and clinical application of quantitative analysis results.
As the first graduate of the Mayo Clinic Informatics and Electronic Imaging Technology Fellowship, I am one of the few radiologists in the world with both the technical expertise to understand the details of running an imaging core laboratory and the knowledge of thoracic imaging required to realize the goals of the LTRC Radiology Center.
I also currently serve as chair of the Radiology IT Committee at Mayo Clinic Rochester. I have expertise in the design and use of radiologist workstations and medical image viewing applications, as well as experience in the management of programmers, engineering staff, and vendor IT resources to develop and maintain software for clinical practice, including systems for computer-aided analysis and display of volumetric imaging data.
Along with knowledge and clinical experience, I have an in-depth understanding of the technical details of image acquisition, transmission, storage, display, and quantitative analysis that are specifically relevant to the imaging features of COPD and ILD being investigated by the LTRC.
See my publications
- Consultant, Department of Radiology
- Chair, Division of Radiology Informatics, Department of Radiology
- Associate Professor of Radiology
- Fellow - Cross Sectional Imaging, Electronic Imaging Technology and Teleradiology Mayo Clinic in Rochester
- Resident - Chief Resident Baptist Medical Center, Wake Forest University
- Resident - Diagnostic Radiology Baptist Medical Center, Wake Forest University
- Internship - Transitional Internship in Clinical Radiology Baptist Medical Center, Wake Forest University
- MD Mayo Medical School, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- BA - Philosophy Lawrence University