Education and Training
Mayo Clinic is a unique environment for biomedical research training. Students and research fellows who come to Mayo Clinic are foremost interested in the medical applications of science. The role of the Department of Immunology is to provide strong basic science support as a foundation for clinical and translational research activities to improve patient outcomes.
The faculty members run independent research programs focused on the discovery of mechanisms regulating inflammation and immunity and the application of these principles to understanding, preventing and treating disease. These programs give students and trainees a chance to learn side by side with mentors in laboratory settings, forming the foundation of Mayo Clinic's outstanding basic science immunology education.
The interests of immunology students and postdocs in the clinical applications of immunology fuel many bench-to-bedside and bedside-to-bench partnerships, strengthening the role of basic science in the development of new solutions to prevent and treat disease.
Immunology education and training opportunities at Mayo Clinic include:
- Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine. The Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine offers one school, three world-class university campuses, and diverse patient populations and research opportunities. Learn more.
- Graduate Research Education Program (GREP). The GREP is a mentored, laboratory-based post-baccalaureate program that helps participants increase their research skills and prepare for their next career steps. Learn more about the GREP.
- Immunology Ph.D. track. Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences trains Immunology Track Ph.D. students and is dedicated to nurturing scholarship and creativity. Learn more about the Ph.D. track.
- Postdoctoral training. Postdoctoral training opportunities vary across the department. Interested individuals are encouraged to contact individual faculty members or explore opportunities. Learn more about postdoctoral immunology training.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF). The department recruits outstanding college undergraduates to participate in the SURF program. Learn more about the SURF program.