Research Facts and Funding
At Mayo Clinic, our patient focus is driven by research.
From providing the best individualized care to addressing the world's most challenging health care problems, Mayo researchers relentlessly pursue discoveries that deliver hope and better health to people today and for generations to come.
Researchers and physician-scientists work side by side to transform scientific discoveries into breakthrough therapies and critical advances in patient care.
Mayo research accelerates the discovery, translation and application of life-changing therapies, surgical procedures and technologies so patients receive exactly the care they need when it's needed.
- Research personnel: 3,842
- Physicians involved in research: 740
- Scientific faculty (career scientists): 234
- Core research laboratories: 24
- Research laboratory space: 397,195 square feet
- Total research space: 1,027,601 square feet
- Active Institutional Review Board-approved human research studies: More than 12,000
- New Institutional Review Board-approved human research studies in 2017: 2,800
- Peer-reviewed publications: 7,234
- Active grants and contracts: 4,981