The research and writing of Jon C. Tilburt, M.D., focuses on improving care and human connection in health systems, including how best to incorporate the beliefs and values of patients and clinicians into clinical care.
- Examining the patient experience of communication in cancer care
- Assessing physician responsibilities, beliefs and values related to health care reform
- Developing tools to promote better conversations about cancer tests and treatments
- Promoting ethical models of research partnerships with American Indian and Alaska Native communities
- Examining ethical tensions in implementation of health policy legislation
Significance to patient care
Dr. Tilburt's studies help clinical care respond to the hopes, fears, beliefs and values in the routines of health care organizations, as well as advocate for humane health policy.
- Member, Ethics, Professionalism and Human Rights Committee, American College of Physicians, 2011-2015
- Member, Ethics Committee, Society of General Internal Medicine, 2014-present
- Recipient, Professionalism Article Prize, American Board of Internal Medicine Foundation, 2013