My clinical research laboratory is termed Multidisciplinary Epidemiology and Translational Research in Intensive Care (METRIC). We have a collaborative multidisciplinary team with expertise in intensive care medicine, anesthesiology, pulmonary medicine, nephrology, surgery, emergency medicine, epidemiology, medical informatics, and biomedical statistics. We take advantage of medical informatics and the electronic medical record to facilitate knowledge discovery and implementation of best practices to improve quality of care in the perioperative environment with specific emphasis on the ICU.
My primary research interest centers on the epidemiology, pathophysiology, and treatment of postoperative organ dysfunction. My work specifically focuses on acute lung injury (ALI) and acute kidney injury (AKI). As effective treatment strategies are lacking for these serious postoperative complications, my work is dedicated to their prevention. These efforts are centered on two key aims: Identification of high risk with advanced modeling techniques and Identification of intermediate markers which accurately and reliably predict development of the fully established syndromes. Ultimately, these aims lead to the evaluation of potential prevention strategies.
My second research interest is directed towards the study of transfusion therapy. I am specifically interested in improving our understanding of transfusion efficacy and the associated risks with blood product administration. I have particular interest in the concepts of transfusion-related immune modulation and the impact of red blood cell storage duration.
See my publications
- Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
- Masters - Masters in Biomedical Sciences. Specialization in Clinical and Translational Sciences.
Thesis: Risk Prediction and Early Detection of Perioperative Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Department of Education Services
- Fellow Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Resident Anesthesiology Residency Program, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Department of Education Services
- Internship Internal Medicine Residency Program, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- MD University of Minnesota Medical School
- BA - Chemistry Saint Johns University