Derek J. Nelson, D.O.
Senior research project
Incidence of posterior ischemic optic neuropathy in elective spinal surgery: A retrospective review
- The puck stops here: Complications of a Latarjet procedure. Case conference; Jan. 4, 2013.
- EMG findings in an incomplete brachial plexopathy. Case conference; Nov. 28, 2012.
- Foot drop after MVA: Neurophysiology and implications. Case conference; Sept. 5, 2012.
- EMG case vignette. Case conference; July 26, 2012.
- Posterior ischemic optic neuropathy: A literature review. Literature review; Sept. 14, 2012.
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference. Mayo Clinic Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; Aug. 22, 2012.
- Idiopathic ventral spinal cord herniation: Case report and literature review. Poster presented at: Association of Academic Physiatrists Annual Meeting; March 3, 2012.
- The impact of disability compensation on long-term treatment outcomes of patients with sciatica due to a lumbar disc herniation. Journal club presentation; Feb. 26, 2013.
- Impact of late surgical intervention on heterotopic ossification of the hip after traumatic neurological injury. Journal club presentation; Nov. 22, 2011.
Why physical medicine and rehabilitation at Mayo Clinic?
I really enjoyed learning about the intricacies of neuromusculoskeletal medicine during medical school, while also studying the importance of form, function, and the healing power of hands-on medicine and physical activity. These interests, in addition to previous work with an inspiring pediatric rehab patient while in college, led me to pursue residency training in PM&R.
While growing up near Mayo Clinic, I always dreamed of one day being involved with this world-class health care institution. During my time here, I've found that Mayo Clinic's Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation — rich in history and well-respected worldwide — has provided me with the kind of supportive, collegial, and stimulating work and learning environment that I need to be a successful physiatrist.
In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my wife, Christine, and our beautiful twin girls. One of our most treasured areas to spend time together is on the North Shore of Lake Superior. I am an avid sports fan, most notably of collegiate and professional football. Developing my culinary skills and enjoying new and unique foods in southeastern Minnesota also are particular interests of mine.
Personal interests and hobbies
- Spending time with my wife, Christine, and our beautiful twin girls
- Vacations on the North Shore of Lake Superior
- Trying new and exotic foods
- Green Bay Packers football