Department and Faculty
The neurosurgical service at Mayo Clinic in Florida is one of the largest in the U.S. Each year, the entire spectrum of neurosurgical conditions and diseases is treated at Mayo Clinic in Florida, ensuring an unparalleled training experience for fellows in the Neurosurgery Spine Fellowship.
The department's neurosurgical caseload is approximately 1,400 major operations a year, including:
- Brain tumor surgery
- Trauma surgery
- Surgery for vascular diseases, including aneurysm, arteriovenous malformation, carotid and bypass
- Transsphenoidal operations
- Surgery for functional disorders, such as epilepsy, movement and pain
- Peripheral nerve procedures
- Endovascular procedures
- Spinal procedures, including dozens of intraspinal tumor procedures and many cases of complex spinal disease involving instrumentation
In addition to caring for patients in their clinical practices, Mayo Clinic's neurosurgery faculty members are committed to teaching and facilitating fellows' development as neurosurgeons. Many of the department faculty have published, lecture extensively and are well regarded for their specialty and subspecialty expertise.