Department and Faculty
The neurosurgical service at Mayo Clinic in Florida is one of the largest in the United States. Each year, the entire spectrum of neurosurgical conditions and disease is treated at Mayo Clinic in Florida, ensuring an unparalleled training experience for fellows in the Neurosurgery Spine Fellowship.
The department's neurosurgical caseload is approximately 1,400 major operations a year, including:
- Brain tumor surgery
- Trauma surgery
- Surgery for vascular diseases (aneurysm, arteriovenous malformation, carotid, bypass)
- Transsphenoidal operations
- Surgery for functional disorders (epilepsy, movement, pain)
- Peripheral nerve procedures
- Endovascular procedures
- Spinal procedures (including dozens of intraspinal tumor procedures and many cases of complex spinal disease involving instrumentation)
In addition to caring for patients in their clinical practices, Mayo Clinic's neurosurgery faculty members are committed to teaching and facilitating fellows' development as neurosurgeons. Many of the department faculty have published, lecture extensively and are well regarded for their specialty and subspecialty expertise.