Privacy and Usage Policy
Overview of the policies
The Mayo Clinic Alumni Association ("MCAA") maintains a comprehensive database of information on alumni/ae in accordance with the business needs and expectations of the Mayo Clinic alumni community and to facilitate communication among alumni for personal use. MCAA will provide the information contained in this database to Mayo Clinic for purposes related to official Mayo Clinic business.
It is the mission of the Mayo Clinic Alumni Association to establish and maintain a mutually effective relationship between Mayo Clinic institutions and alumni of the Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Mayo Graduate School, and Mayo Medical School. The goal of the association is to promote and preserve excellence in the fields of medical practice, education and research. In order to provide the best support possible for these initiatives, MCAA may collect, share or publish the personal information of members of the alumni community in accordance with the MCAA Privacy and Usage Policy.
MCAA reserves the right to communicate with members of MCAA through the U.S. mail, express mail services, and all forms of electronic communications.
Scope of policy
This Privacy and Usage Policy dictates MCAA's handling of personal information of members of MCAA. This policy is enforced in all areas of MCAA's business, including online communications, offline communications, direct marketing, event registration, payment of dues and purchase of merchandise.
Information usage, terms and conditions
MCAA usage guidelines
At no time will MCAA rent or sell an individual's personal information to third parties. However, MCAA may use the information for official Mayo Clinic and alumni association business, or to communicate with you about products and services offered by Mayo Clinic or the alumni association.
In addition to MCAA's policies and guidelines, users of MCAA resources must abide by the following specific rules and regulations:
- Unauthorized copying, reproduction, republishing, uploading, downloading, posting, transmitting, or duplicating any of the material is prohibited. Users may download or copy any downloadable materials displayed on the MCAA system for home, non-commercial and personal use only, provided, however, that you maintain all copyright, trademark and other notices contained in such material and you agree to abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in any material accessed through the MCAA community.
- Use of MCAA information or communication facilitated through MCAA resources for any commercial, public, or political purpose is strictly prohibited. Prohibited activities include, but are not limited to, solicitations for commercial services, cold-calling of any kind, mass-mailings, or broadcast e-mails. Information available through the MCAA community may be used for specific personal and Mayo Clinic-related purposes only.
- Users shall not restrict nor inhibit any other user from enjoying any service on the MCAA system. Posting of, or linking to, obscene materials or use of obscene, vulgar, abusive, defamatory, profane, or threatening language of any kind, will constitute a violation of these policies governing the use of the MCAA system and online resources. Additionally, users shall not upload, transmit, distribute or otherwise publish any materials containing malicious scripts, viruses or any harmful components.
- All aliases adopted by MCAA community users are subject to approval by Mayo Clinic and/or the alumni association to ensure that the proper image is associated with the institution.
- Neither Mayo Clinic nor MCAA is responsible for screening communications in advance, and neither Mayo Clinic nor MCAA will actively monitor the use of the online directory. For this reason, it is essential that the alumni users of the MCAA community report any abuses or misuse of the MCAA community to MCAA. If MCAA determines that a user's participation in the MCAA community creates a liability for MCAA or Mayo Clinic or that the user has violated the policies set forth herein, MCAA reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take actions against the user. MCAA reserves the right to expel a user and deny a user further access to the MCAA community if such user violates these policies or any applicable laws or regulations.
- MCAA reserves the right to determine whether the use or misuse of information obtained through the alumni directory (print or online) by any person or group is a violation of this policy and further reserves the right to bar access to the directory information and website sites by any such person or group and to take appropriate action without notice.
Online alumni directory
MCAA maintains the alumni directory for the purposes of facilitating interaction between alumni/ae and helping alumni/ae keep their records current on the MCAA database. The alumni directory system is user ID and password protected, and may only be accessed by authenticated alumni/ae of Mayo Clinic and approved Mayo Clinic staff. Users are responsible for all use of their name and password to gain access to the MCAA directory and for the use of information as a result of such access. Users acknowledge that responsibility and agree not to share their password with any other person. MCAA has taken commercially reasonable precautions to secure the personal information available through the alumni directory system. However, it is the users' responsibility to restrict or hide personal information that they do not wish to be generally available.
Alumni/ae have the opportunity to opt-out of the MCAA Alumni Directory by registering, editing your Profile, clicking "modify your directory listing preferences," and selecting "Hide" next to "Online Directory Consent."
The MCAA alumni directory system may include home and work addresses, telephone numbers, fax numbers, e-mail addresses, field of practice, Mayo Clinic training and years of that training.
Special notice: If you do not register for the MCAA Alumni Directory system, and you have not otherwise designated your record as private, your name and business information, or city and state if there is no business information, will be published by default.
Alumni who have registered in the system will have access to information in the directory, but may not use the information they obtain for commercial or political purposes, promotions, advocacy, or any other purpose, business or otherwise except to facilitate individual personal communication or business of Mayo Clinic or MCAA. MCAA or Mayo Clinic will not be held liable for any unauthorized use by alumni/ae who do not adhere to these policies.
Non-Alumni staff, authorized volunteers and agents of Mayo Clinic may access the MCAA alumni directory information for the exclusive purpose of carrying out Mayo Clinic or MCAA business.
MCAA website and community websites
MCAA maintains public and private websites for the benefit of alumni/ae and Mayo Clinic and others interested in alumni activities and services. MCAA is committed to protecting users' personal information and respecting the users' privacy. When you visit any MCAA website, information about your browser type, operating system, IP address, and the domain from which you came may be collected by various methods including cookies, referrers, IP addresses and system information. You may visit many sections of the MCAA website without submitting any personally identifiable information. However, some sections of the MCAA website may request that you provide personally identifiable information in order to access certain data, e.g., alumni directory entries, or to complete a form or transaction.
MCAA has in place, commercially reasonable measures to protect the security of information which you provide, including encryption technology and physical security at the server sites where data is stored; however no system is without a minimal amount of risk. Additionally, the MCAA website includes hyperlinks to other websites, which MCAA does not maintain, or control. MCAA is not responsible for either the contents or the privacy policies of such sites and advises you to exercise care when using unfamiliar online resources.
Uses of student information
Federal law restricts the amount of information that may be released on current students. MCAA abides by Mayo Clinic policies for use of student information.
Liability and indemnity
The reliability of the information available through the MCAA community is largely dependent upon the actions of community registrants. MCAA makes no representations about the accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of information available through the network of MCAA websites, alumni directory, or other materials, either printed or online.
MCAA does not warrant that the alumni directory system will operate error-free or that the website and its server are free of computer viruses or other harmful materials. However, commercially reasonable precautions are in place to minimize these risks.
To the fullest extent permitted by the law, MCAA disclaims all warranties, including the warranties of merchantability, non-infringement, and fitness for particular purpose. In no event shall MCAA or Mayo Clinic be liable for any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, incidental, consequential, or punitive damages, resulting from the use of or inability to use information or materials available on the MCAA community website.
By using the network of MCAA websites, the alumni directory system, or any and all MCAA printed material, you agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless MCAA and their respective agents from and against any and all losses, claims, damages, costs, and expenses that may arise from your use of any and all MCAA resources, or your breach of these policies. MCAA will provide notice to you of any such action or claim, and reserves the right to participate, at our expense, in the investigation, settlement, and defense of any such action or claim.
By using any MCAA online resource, or selecting the "Accept Terms and Conditions" option, you agree to abide by all policies outlined herein. If you cannot accept these policies, please do not use the MCAA resources, and/or select the "Do Not Accept" option to indicate that you cannot accept the policies and do not wish to register as a user of the MCAA network of websites and resources.
Managing your personal information
Update your record on the MCAA database via the following channels:
- (Preferred) Register and update your information in the alumni directory at https://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/MAYO/directory.html
- Email your new information to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail your new information to:
Mayo Clinic Alumni Office
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
Please note: Many Mayo Clinic departments and programs maintain separate databases. Updating your record on MCAA database does not necessarily update your record on these other databases.
How to update your name(s), class year or degree information
Alumni cannot edit name(s), class year, or degree information through alumni directory. To update this information on the MCAA database, send an email to email@example.com. Please include your pertinent contact information in this email.
How to hide select information from other Mayo Clinic alumni/ae
You may hide selected pieces of personal information from other Mayo Clinic alumni/ae by following these steps:
- Register for the MCAA alumni directory system at https://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/MAYO/directory.html
- Click "Update My Profile"
- Click "Modify your directory listing preferences"
- Check "Hide" next to any piece of personal information that you wish to hide from other Mayo Clinic alumni/ae
- Click "Update" at the bottom of the page
For the purpose of this policy, personal information includes any information that is linked to an identifiable individual name or record. Personal information collected by MCAA may include, but is not limited to, names(s), addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, birth date, names of family members, academic information, student and alumni activities, preferences regarding MCAA programs and communications.
Changes to the privacy and usage policy
MCAA may revise these policies and your continued use of the site constitutes your agreement to comply with such modifications. You should review the policies periodically to ensure that you are familiar with them.
Contact Mayo Clinic Alumni Association
MCAA invites your feedback and inquiries regarding our privacy and usage policy and practices. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org