Lawrence Leslie Ware Jr.
Lawrence Leslie Ware Jr. was born on Sept. 12, 1920, in Charleston, W.Va. He was a U.S. Navy medical corpsman with the Seabees in World War II, after which he attended Roosevelt University in Chicago, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in 1950 with a major in microbiology and minor in biochemistry.
Mr. Ware was employed as a medical biologist with the U.S. Army biological warfare project in Frederick, Md., from 1951 to 1959, and then was a laboratory director for Indian Hospital in Phoenix from 1959 to 1965. He returned to the Washington, D.C., area in 1966 as a medical information officer for the U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command at Fort Detrick.
In 1965, Mr. Ware was certified as an RM(AAM) in pathogenic bacteriology and immunology-serology, and in 1971 received certification as an SM(AAM) in public health and medical laboratory microbiology. He worked for more than 40 years as a microbiologist.
Mr. Ware and his colleagues at Fort Detrick pioneered much of the research important to the biotechnology industry. He was nominated for the Meritorious Civilian Service Award in 1986 — the second highest award for civilians — and retired that same year.
One of Mr. Ware's hobbies was medical stamp collecting. He spent many of his retirement years in Florida with his wife, daughter and grandchildren. Mr. Ware died from Alzheimer's disease on Aug. 30, 1996, in Florida.
Stamp donation to Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic received this donation in installments beginning in November 1988 and ending around 1994. Mr. Ware donated his collection in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Gerald M. Needham, Mayo Clinic emeritus.
The collection consists of:
- Individual stamps — 27 sheets
- Stamps commemorating malaria — eight sheets
- First-day-of-issue stamps on envelopes that include biographical information — 16 sheets
- First-day-of-issue stamps on envelopes — 58 individual stamps
The stamps featured in the stamp gallery were selected to highlight notable people and important milestones in the history of medicine. They represent just a small portion of this large collection, which is housed in the History of Medicine Library at Mayo Clinic.