Directed by Virend Somers, M.D., Ph.D., CCaTS' Cardiovascular Facility enables collaborative studies that investigate ways in which diseases and treatments affect the cardiovascular system and ultimately affect morbidity and mortality. With extensive experience and a wide range of tools, the facility provides comprehensive resources for integrative studies of human cardiovascular physiology.
Services and equipment
The facility is able to conduct a wide range of state-of-the-art measurements and experiments in cardiovascular physiology, cardiopulmonary interactions and autonomic control. It has dedicated bioengineering support for specialized studies and extensive experience conducting studies that combine cardiovascular and sleep physiology.
Available services and equipment include:
- Ultrasound machines for cardiac echocardiography and measurements of endothelial function
- Siemens Acuson Sequoia 512
- GE Vivid 7
- SonoSite M-Turbo ultrasound
- Devices to measure baroreflex sensitivity
- Devices for measurement of bioelectrical impedance
- Devices for continuous and 24-hour blood pressure measurement
- Tools for spectral analysis of heart rate variability
- Extensive computer equipment, such as:
- PET imaging (available through Nuclear Medicine — Department of Radiology)
Accessing the facility
Investigators planning a new study in the Cardiovascular Facility should discuss their protocol with Dr. Virend Somers, facility director.
Before using the facility, investigators must receive both Institutional Review Board (IRB) and CCaTS approval via the Clinical Research and Trials Unit (CRTU) section in IRBe. Once approvals are received, study teams work with Ann B. Peterson to schedule time with the ultrasound machines. CRTU staff will help study teams schedule visits in the CRTU.
Call 507-538-6400 with questions about fees.
Location and hours
The Cardiovascular Facility is located on Domitilla 5B within the Saint Marys CRTU and is open 24/7, with the exception of Mayo Clinic-recognized holidays. To reach Cardiovascular Facility staff during business hours, call the numbers below.