The Mayo Clinic Center for Clinical and Translational Science (CCaTS) currently offers two Web-based, self-managed, customizable data management solutions to investigators and study teams — REDCap Case Report Form (CRF) and REDCap Survey.
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) solutions offer the following features:
- Quick project start-up — no IT programming required to set up a project
- Intuitive user interface for form building and data entry
- Advanced features such as data range checking, branching logic and calculated fields
- Supports longitudinal model and mid-study modifications
- HIPAA-compliant, built-in user rights control and audit trails for data security and tracking
- Automated data export to common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, R, Stata) and Microsoft Excel
- Data import capability through Microsoft Excel (REDCap CRF only)
- Capability to support multisite studies (with approved IRB number)
REDCap CRF is a secure, Web-based application designed to capture and manage research study data. Using REDCap's streamlined process for rapidly developing projects, you may create and design projects using the:
- Online method from your Web browser using the Online Designer
- Offline method by constructing a "data dictionary" template file in Microsoft Excel, which can be later uploaded into REDCap
Typically, the REDCap application can be up and running in a "prototype" state within 24 hours. Once the project is created, the user is empowered to manage his or her project — no IT intervention is necessary for data export or user account management.
View a demo CRF database
REDCap Survey is a tool designed to collect study participant self-report outcomes. Its nature also makes it suitable for building and managing online surveys. You can create and design surveys in your Web browser, collect responses from survey participants, and export your survey results to Microsoft Excel or a variety of statistical analysis packages. Survey data is securely hosted by Mayo Clinic and no extra software is required.
Once created, a link to your survey can be distributed via e-mail or posted on a website. You have the option to keep responses anonymous or track them by individual.
View a demo survey
Is REDCap right for me?
REDCap is suitable for research projects with low- to medium-complexity data collection requirements. If you are using spreadsheets or Microsoft Access for data collection, you can convert to REDCap with limited effort and take advantage of many features available in REDCap that are not available in Microsoft Excel and Access.
REDCap is capable of supporting multisite studies. If you would like to set up a multisite study and have an approved IRB number, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
REDCap is not 21 CFR Part 11-compliant, and therefore not a suitable solution for FDA-governed clinical trials. Please contact the CCaTS Service Center at 507-255-7101 or visit the internal Department of Health Sciences Research (HSR) website (must be logged in to the Mayo network) if you need a research data management solution that is compliant with 21 CFR Part 11.
REDCap is available at no charge to all Mayo investigators.
Users are encouraged to attend a training class before using REDCap CRF or REDCap Survey. These classes take place monthly through the CCaTS Service Center. If you are connected to Mayo's network, visit the registration page to sign up for a class. Once you arrive at this page, you will need to:
- Click on "Instructor-Led Courses"
- Select "REDCap Classes"
- Click on "Go"
- Select the demo that you wish to register for (or cancel from)
Alternatively, online training materials are available at the REDCap Consortium website.
Use the following links to access REDCap CRF and REDCap Survey. Note that you first must be logged in to the Mayo network.
Log in to REDCap CRF
Log in to REDCap Survey