Luis F. Porrata, M.D., is focused on research to use patients' own immune systems, treated with autologous stem cell transplantation, to avoid rejection and improve survival in patients with cancer.
- The collection of good lymphocytes in patients with planned autologous stem cell transplantation to improve survival
- To translate the application of good lymphocytes in the autologous stem cell transplantation to patients undergoing standard chemotherapy
Significance to patient care
Dr. Porrata discovered that patients with good lymphocyte recovery after autologous stem cell transplantation experienced better survival. This was observed in patients with acute leukemias, multiple myeloma, lymphomas and amyloidosis. As the clinical understanding of these good lymphocytes continues, they can be used to treat multiple different cancers.
- Editorial board member, World Journal of Hematology, 2012-present
- Editorial board member, Journal of Stem Cell Research & Therapy, 2010-present
- Editorial board member, World Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2010-present
- Managing editor, Frontiers in Bioscience, 2009-present
- Editorial board member, Bone Marrow Research, 2009-present
- Editorial board member, Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 2007-present