The overall goal of my research is to provide clarification for some of the ongoing controversies regarding body adiposity and cardiovascular disease.
My research program studies:
- Significance of body adiposity on cardiovascular risk.
- Best measure of body adiposity to assess prognosis in people with cardiovascular disease.
- Clinical value of measuring body fat percentage.
- Effect of obesity and weight loss on myocardial function.
- Limitations of body mass index in clinical practice.
- National trends in cardiovascular risk.
- Complex interaction between sleep apnea, metabolic dysregulation, and cardiovascular disease.
Our research program has studied obesity and cardiovascular disease from different angles, from physiologic studies assessing changes in myocardial mechanics and structural and hemodynamic changes following weight loss, to studies addressing the effect of physicians' diagnosis of obesity on willingness to lose weight and successful weight loss at follow-up.
Recent research projects include the analysis of large data sets assessing the diagnostic accuracy of body mass index, assessing the best obesity-related measure to assess prognosis in people with cardiovascular disease and studies showing that people can be obese despite a normal body weight. My research has also evaluated the cardiometabolic effect of bariatric surgery.
See my publications
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Professor of Medicine
- Fellow - Cardiology Training Program Division of Cardiology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- Fellow - Preventive Cardiology Division of Cardiology, Boston Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- Fellow - Cardiology Training Program Division of Cardiology, Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Research Fellowship Department of Behavioral Medicine, Schools of Psychology and Medicine, University of Miami
- Research Fellowship Division of Cardiology, Mount Sinai Medical Center
- Fellow - Clinical and Research Fellow, Non-Invasive Laboratory Division of Cardiology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- MS - Clinical Epidemiology Harvard School of Public Health
- Research Fellowship - Clinical Epidemiology Division of General Internal Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- Resident Instituto Nacional de la Nutricion, Medicina e Investigacion, Salvador Zubiran
- MD Leon School of Medicine, Guanajuato University
- Internship Instituto Nacional de la Nutricion, Medicina e Investigacion, Salvador Zubiran