Andrew P. Keaveny, M.D., studies the management of portal hypertension as well as patient outcomes after liver transplantation. His ongoing research projects include the prediction and management of rejection and renal failure after liver transplantation, the management of vitamin D deficiency before and after transplantation, and the identification of best practices and highest value care of patients undergoing liver transplantation.
- Proteogenomics for organ transplantation. With funding from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Dr. Keaveny is investigating the use of proteogenomics in the prediction and diagnosis of rejection and renal failure after liver transplantation.
- Renal failure in patients with liver disease. Collaborating with colleagues from Transplant Nephrology, Dr. Keaveny is studying the assessment of renal failure in patients with end-stage liver disease and the appropriate utilization of kidney transplantation in this patient population.
- Vitamin D. Dr. Keaveny is investigating the optimal management of vitamin D deficiency in patients awaiting liver transplantation.
- Value in liver transplantation. Collaborating with C. Burcin Taner, M.D., chair of the Division of Transplant Surgery, Dr. Keaveny is evaluating patient care models to identify the best practices in value and care for liver transplantation.
Significance to patient care
Dr. Keaveny works toward better strategies for the diagnosis and management of complications related to end-stage liver disease as well as identifying the optimal practice models in the care of patients needing liver transplantation.
- Member, Education Committee, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, 2012-2015
- Editorial board, Clinical Liver Disease, 2011-present
- C. Richard Fleming Award for Education, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 2006 and 2013
- Executive committee, Liver and Intestines Advisory Council, American Society of Transplantation, 2008-2012
See my publications
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- MD - Conferred Doctor of Medicine University College Dublin Medical School
- Fellow - Hepatology Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplantation, Lahey Clinic Medical Center
- Resident Boston University Medical Center, Boston University
- Fellow - Gastroenterology Boston Medical Center/Boston University School of Medicine
- Research Fellowship Section of Gastroenterology, Boston Medical Center/Boston University School of Medicine
- Registrar - Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology Department of Gastroenterology and the Liver Unit, St. Vincent's Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland
- Resident - Medicine Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
- Internship St. Vincent's Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland
- MB BCh/BAO University College Dublin Medical School