The Microscopy and Cell Analysis Core is a Mayo Clinic resource facility equipped and expertly staffed to provide specimen preparation, light and electron microscopy, multiparameter flow analysis and cell-sorting services.
Specialized instrumentation and procedures include:
- Live cell sorting
- Flow cytometry
- X-ray probe microanalysis — including multiple transmission electron microscopes (TEMs) and a scanning electron microscope (SEM)
- Immunogold labeling
- Negative staining for electron microscopy
- Ultrastructural pathology
- 3-D reconstruction from serial-sectioned specimens and high-resolution images using image averaging of negative-stained and cryo-tomography specimens
- Two-photon microscopy
- Laser confocal microscopy
- Total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy
- Whole-slide scanning
Core staff members are available for the development and implementation of new microscopy and flow cytometry techniques and for testing and evaluation of instrumentation of value to individual investigators.