There are two main project areas in the Tissue Engineering and Biomaterials Laboratory, led by our co-directors Avudaiappan Maran and Theresa Hefferan.
Dr. Maran is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopedics. Dr. Maran received his Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from Madurai Kamaraj University, India, and completed his Postdoctoral fellowship at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in NY. He has been with my program for four years. Dr. Maran is an established investigator in the field on bone biology and has years of experience in molecular biology of cancer and cytokines. His studies involve in vitro and in vivo model systems and the application of genomics and proteomics tools.
Cell and Molecular Biology
- Estrogen Metabolites in the Control of Osteosarcoma
- Genomic Assessment of Clinical Variability in Osteosarcoma
- Stat1 in Estrogen-mediated Regulation of Osteoblasts and Chondrocytes
- Eukaryotic Initiation Factor 5A and Translational Control in Breast and Bone Cancer
- Biodegradable polymer-mediated DNA delivery in bone cells
Dr. Hefferan is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopedics. Dr. Hefferan received her Ph.D. degree from the University of Maryland. She has been instrumental in establishing the Biomaterials Characterization and Quantitative Histomorphometry Laboratory as a Core Facility at Mayo. Dr. Hefferan, Scientific Director of the laboratory, also coordinates several collaborative histomorphometry studies with principal investigators from our department, other departments at Mayo, and institutions around the world.
Biomaterials Characterization and Quantitative Histomorphometry
- Osteointegration into Porous Metal
- Bone Formation in Scaffolds
- Recruitment of Osteoblastic Precursor Cells
- Osteogenic compounds (Parathyriod Hormone and Bone Morphogenetic Protein)