Research Trainee Appointment
The Mayo Epidemiology and Translational Research in Intensive Care (METRIC) group offers a limited number of one-year research trainee (nonpaid) appointments for physicians. Appointments provide a mentored research experience that includes both didactics and one-on-one mentoring. The METRIC group has hosted worldwide, international research trainees.
Each trainee is assigned a space in the department, a computer and a clinical research project to complete. Trainees are expected to devote at least 40 hours a week to their research project and learning research methodology. Knowledge will be gained through attendance at weekly research conferences, mentorship, required reading and some coursework. Training in the use of software programs commonly used to support research also will be available.
Trainees can expect to submit abstracts to the major meetings: American Thoracic Society, Society of Critical Care Medicine, American College of Chest Physicians, American Society of Anesthesiologists and American Medical Informatics Association.
An appointment requires a full-time commitment for one year. Start dates are flexible. As no stipend is provided, trainees or their institutions are responsible for expenses. Trainees who demonstrate excellence may have an opportunity to transition to a research fellow appointment.
Application eligibility, materials and requirements are outlined below for research trainees. Please include the following in your application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- USMLE scores
- Applicants must have completed all steps including step 3 before a start date (step 3 can be done after the interview, but must be passed before a start date).
- Applicants must have passed all United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) steps on the first attempt. All scores must be forwarded to METRIC.
- USMLE scores are not required if you are applying for a one-year research appointment and will not be applying to residency programs in the United States.
- Curriculum vitae
- Applicants must have at least two years of work experience in clinical medicine if seeking a one-year trainee position. METRIC may interview current third- or fourth-year medical students for a two-to-three month research elective under special circumstances.
- All applicants must demonstrate some research experience acquired during medical school training, during clinical work or both. Examples include abstracts, posters, presentations at conferences, involvement in previous or ongoing studies, and journal publications.
- Please include a current photo (for identification purposes).
- 3 Letters of recommendation
- Letter of intent (please include the following)
- What you hope to achieve during a year of research with our group?
- What you believe you can offer our group?
- What are your short- and long-term goals, including whether you plan to interview or apply for residency programs through the match program of the relevant year?
- How will you apply your research experience obtained at Mayo Clinic when you return to your home institution or future career?
- Visa requirements
- Please let METRIC know what visa you have and whether you need assistance with your visa.
- We invite potential applicants for a Skype interview after application has been reviewed. Not all applicants will be interviewed.
- Please forward:
- USMLE scores
- Curriculum vitae
- Letters of recommendation
- Letter of intent to email@example.com