The Integrated Carbohydrate Physiology and Translation Laboratory of Rita Basu, M.D., Ananda Basu, MBBS, M.D., and Yogish C. Kudva, MBBS, at Mayo Clinic focuses on understanding the integrative physiology of glucose metabolism in people with diabetes and without diabetes.
The Integrated Carbohydrate Physiology and Translation Lab has several diabetes-related research interests, including:
- The pathophysiology of prediabetes, type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and hypoglycemia
- The role of excess cortisol and carotid bodies in regulating blood glucose in people with and without diabetes
- The biology of insulin resistance (metabolic syndrome)
- Understanding subcutaneous glucose transport and continuous subcutaneous glucose sensing in type 1 diabetes
- Accelerating closed-loop control for the development of an artificial pancreas for type 1 diabetes that will deliver insulin automatically and with an individualized precision never before possible