A variety of clinical cerebrovascular research questions are addressed through the following areas: 1.) the Stroke Epidemiology Research Facility, Section of Clinical Epidemiology, Department of Health Sciences Research; 2.) the Vascular Center including the Clinical Neurovascular Laboratory and the Cerebrovascular Clinic; and 3.) through independent single and multicenter medical and surgical treatment trials and epidemiological natural history studies.
Current areas of exploration relate to the following:
- The natural history and management of unruptured intracranial aneurysms and other vascular malformations.
- The effectiveness of carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic and asymptomatic carotid stenosis.
- Trends in the population-based incidence rates of hemorrhagic and ischemic cerebrovascular events in Rochester, Minnesota.
- Risk factors associated with ischemic and hemorrhagic cerebrovascular diseases.
- The usefulness of noninvasive cerebrovascular testing in the management of patients with cerebrovascular disorders.