Jayant A. Talwalkar, M.D., is a transplant hepatologist with interests in health services and policy research in the areas of liver disease and transplantation.
The research of Dr. Talwalkar is centered on the organization and delivery of health care for patient populations with chronic conditions requiring specialty care.
Specifically, Dr. Talwalkar focuses on the generation and synthesis of knowledge as well as the evaluation of health policies that affect clinical practice in the areas of health technology and device assessment and solid organ transplantation.
Dr. Talwalkar currently serves as medical director of the Mayo Clinic-Optum Labs collaboration within the Office of Health Care Practice and Policy in the Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery. Dr. Talwalkar's research interests are pursued in collaboration with colleagues from the Division of Health Care Policy and Research.
- Health care policy analysis
- Quality of care
Significance to patient care
The research performed by Dr. Talwalkar and his colleagues contributes to identifying the impacts and unintended consequences of health care policy enactment and reform on the clinical practice of medicine.
- Chair, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) Health Care Delivery Special Interest Group, 2015-present
- Chair, American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) Liver & Biliary Section, 2013-present
- Fellow, AGA, 2011-present
- Chair, AASLD Practice Guidelines Committee, 2009-2013
- Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology, 2002-present