The research interests of Steven A. Smith, M.D., include diabetes and health services research.
The major focus of Dr. Smith's research has been health systems; telemedicine strategies in communication across the continuum of patient care; relationships between patients, generalists and specialists; and information systems.
Dr. Smith and his colleagues are presently involved in a multiyear project regarding the care and prevention of diabetes across the state of Minnesota, Decade of Discovery, with the ultimate goal of conquering this disease in the next decade.
This involves the collective effort of patients, community, government, health systems, health care plans and basic-translation science.
- Prevention of diabetic complications
- Optimal use of medications for metabolic control (hypertension, hyperlipidemia, hyperglycemia)
- Behavioral and ecological interventions for the care and prevention of diabetes
- Patient and health care provider decision making
Significance to patient care
The work of Dr. Smith and his colleagues is designed to support, catalyze and lead efforts in:
- Improving care and prevention for diabetes
- Reducing the costs of diabetes (measured in terms of human suffering and health care expenditure)
- Creating opportunities for innovation to conquer diabetes "here, there and everywhere"
- Member, National Board of Directors, American Diabetes Association, 2008-2010
- STOP Diabetes Act Award, Minnesota Area American Diabetes Association, 2011