I do surgical pathology and cytopathology at Mayo and also oversee the Department of Anatomic Pathology's Image Morphometry Laboratory. My specialty interests include urologic pathology, endocrine pathology, and urine cytopathology.
The Image Lab has cultivated a prostate needle biopsy database since 1995 that serves as a model for the development of biomarkers, which enhance the ability to predict clinically important outcomes including cancer progression. The lab is active in the area of tissue microarray photo-archiving and quantitation for various collaborative efforts in, for example, the institution's Prostate SPORE activities. Other endeavors include analyzing tumors of the kidney, bladder, testis, and thyroid.
For thyroid, I have been active in the area of thyroid cytology fine needle aspiration as well as molecular studies in thyroid cancer.
I also have an active interest in urine cytology assessment and development of ancillary tests for the enhancement of tumor detection by non-traditional (molecular) means.
See my publications
- Laboratory Medicine and Pathology
- Professor of Laboratory Medicine & Pathology
- Resident - Pathology Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Fellow - Surgical Pathology Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Internship - Internal Medicine Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- MD Southern Illinois University, Springfield
- Post-doctoral Fellowship - National Institutes of Health University of Wisconsin, Madison
- PhD - Chemistry/Molecular Biology Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
- BS - Biosciences/Mathematics Eckerd College