The research of Jordan Rullo, Ph.D., L.P., is focused on the sexual health (sexual desire, arousal, orgasm and sexual pain) of women and their partners, sexual medicine education for medical students, and the development of an inclusive health care environment for sexual and gender minority patients such as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex individuals.
- Mindfulness and sexual health. Dr. Rullo's research focuses on using the skill of mindfulness to improve sexual relationships and to treat women's low sexual desire and difficulties with sexual arousal and orgasm.
- Health care inclusivity of sexual and gender minorities. Dr. Rullo is also interested in how to create a more inclusive and accepting health care environment for sexual and gender minorities. This includes studying how to appropriately ask patients about their sexual orientation and gender identity in the health care setting.
- Sexual medicine curriculum. Dr. Rullo is engaged in studying the sexual medicine curriculum needs of medical students. She uses different methods — online, in-class, objective structured clinical examinations — to teach medical students to be successful sexual medicine providers.
Significance to patient care
Dr. Rullo's research is aimed at developing clinical interventions, supported by evidence, to treat women's sexual health concerns. Dr. Rullo's research is also focused on helping health care providers create a more welcoming and inclusive setting for sexual and gender minorities by not only studying the health care environment, but also teaching future physicians (medical students) how to provide cross-cultural care.
- Recipient, Innovations in Diversity and Inclusion Patient Impact Award, Mayo Clinic, 2014
- Recipient, Division 44 Bisexual Foundation Scholarship, American Psychological Association, 2008