The current research of Jyotishman Pathak, Ph.D., focuses on secondary uses of electronic health record data for clinical and health care delivery research, integration of genomic data within electronic health records, and clinical decision support systems for personalized therapeutics. Dr. Pathak has played important leadership roles in two large National Institutes of Health-Department of Health and Human Services initiatives — the Strategic Health IT Research Project (SHARP) and the Electronic Medical Records and Genomics (eMERGE) project — which have pioneered techniques for high-throughput phenotyping from electronic health records.
Dr. Pathak serves as the director of Biomedical Informatics at the Mayo Clinic Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences and the director of clinical informatics at the Mayo Clinic Robert D. and Patricia E. Kern Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery. He currently holds major national grants from the National Institutes of Health, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, and private foundations. Dr. Pathak has published over 120 papers, including many book chapters and invited reviews.
- Electronic health records
- High-throughput phenotyping
- Semantic information integration
- Big data systems
- Social computing
Significance to patient care
The ability to apply novel approaches for information extraction and data mining from electronic health records has led to numerous possibilities ranging from identifying genetic characteristics of different diseases to understanding the quality and value of care provided to manage complex patients. Dr. Pathak's research focuses on advancing the science and technology of achieving this overarching objective by applying novel informatics, computer sciences and engineering principles.
- Clinical Research Informatics Distinguished Paper Award, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA), 2015 and 2014
- Early Career Development Award, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 2010-2013
- Distinguished Paper Award, American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA), 2012
- High-Impact Pilot and Feasibility Award, Center for Clinical and Translational Science, Mayo Clinic, 2012
- Research Excellence Award, Iowa State University, 2007
- C.V. Ramamoorthy Best Research Paper Award in Artificial Intelligence, 2006