The research interests of Eric L. Matteson, M.D., include researching the epidemiology and novel treatments of rheumatoid arthritis and studying the impact of rheumatoid arthritis on development of coexisting conditions, such as heart disease.
In this work, Dr. Matteson conducts clinical trials and collaborates with national and international groups researching biology, diagnosis and management of giant cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. This area of interest reflects his broader work in the epidemiology and treatment of systemic vasculitis. Additionally, Dr. Matteson works with the National Institutes of Health-sponsored Vasculitis Clinical Research Consortium. He is also involved in researching the history of medicine as it relates to rheumatology.
- Rheumatoid lung disease
- Extra-articular manifestations of rheumatoid arthritis
- Diagnosis and treatment of polymyalgia rheumatica
- Diagnosis and treatment of giant cell arteritis
Significance to patient care
Dr. Matteson's research program has helped improve the care of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and various forms of vasculitis. He and his colleagues have established improved treatment programs for these diseases and are studying how to best manage the increased risk of heart disease among patients with rheumatoid arthritis. This research has led to establishing the Mayo Clinic Cardio-Rheumatology Clinic to better assess the risks and treat heart disease among patients with rheumatic diseases.
Dr. Matteson's research has also helped to better define how to diagnose diseases such as polymyalgia rheumatica and how to reduce risks associated with the treatment of rheumatic diseases.
See my publications
- Professor of Medicine
- MPH - Public Health in Epidemiology University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Fellow Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
- Fellow University of Michigan
- Resident - Internal Medicine Michigan State University
- Internship - Internal Medicine Michigan State University
- MD Friedrich-Alexander University, Erlangen-Nuremberg
- Other - Nursing School Friedrich-Alexander University, Erlangen-Nuremberg
- BA - Political Science and German University of Nebraska, Lincoln