Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Male and female patients age 18 and over diagnosed with RLS/WED by a board certified sleep medicine physician within the Mayo Clinic Center for Sleep Medicine.
- Patients must have moderate to severe symptoms which have been present for ≥ 3 months. Patients must endorse discomfort as part of their typical RLS/WED symptomatology.
- Patients must experience daily symptoms and must experience daily symptoms during afternoon hours (12-5 PM)
- Patients on no medications for RLS/WED, or those who have refractory symptoms despite RLS/WED medications will be enrolled. Patients on alpha-2-delta ligands (pregabalin, gabapentin) will be asked to discontinue these medications two weeks prior to starting treatments and remain off these medications throughout the study protocol.
- Informed consent to participate in this study needs to be obtained
- Research authorization not provided
- Patients who are asymptomatic (either by verbal report or completion of severity scale) at time of initiation of Scrambler Therapy treatment
- Patients who have made changes in medication regimen during the 2 weeks prior to study initiation (including initiation of iron supplementation)
- Prior use of Scrambler Therapy
- Pregnant or Nursing Patients
- Patients with implantable drug delivery systems, heart stents, or metal implants (including pacemakers and defibrillators)
- Patients with history of epilepsy or other medical conditions that in the opinion of the investigators should be excluded
- Patients with skin conditions or wounds in or around the area of electrode application (lower extremities)
- Patients treated with alpha-2 delta ligands (gabapentin, pregabalin), who cannot discontinue the medications as above