Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Non celiac gluten sensitive patients with a functional bowel disorder
- Age 18 to 70 years.
- Positive serum tissue transglutaminase (TTG) Immunoglobulin A (IgA) positive or medical record of small bowel biopsy suggestive of celiac disease.
- Use of tobacco products within the past 6 months (since nicotine may affect intestinal permeability).
- Abdominal surgeries (except appendectomy, cholecystectomy and vaginal hysterectomy or tubal ligation)
- Use of Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs(NSAIDs) or aspirin within the past week (since Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) affect intestinal permeability).
- Use of oral corticosteroids within the previous 6 weeks.
- Ingestion of artificial sweeteners such as Splenda™ (sucralose), Nutrasweet ™ (aspartame), lactulose or mannitol 2 days before the study tests begins, e.g., foods to be avoided are sugarless gums or mints and diet soda.
- Bleeding disorders or medications that increase risk of bleeding from mucosal biopsies.
- High anxiety or depression score (>11 on each subscale) on the Hospital Anxiety Depression Score questionnaire.
- Known allergy to fluorescein.