Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Males and Females ages 18-80 years old
- Active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) disease as per 2010 ACR/EULAR classification criteria for the diagnosis of RA.
- Must be positive for rheumatoid factor and/or anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP3) but without extra-articular disease or functional limitation
- Patient with active RA defined as:
- 4 tender joints (TJC) count (28 joint count) at screening and
- 4 swollen joints (SJC) count (28 joint count) at screening
- ESR ≥ 28 mm/hr OR hsCRP greater than ULN
- Patient has been taking MTX for at least 6 months with dose and route of administration stable for at least 8 weeks prior to screening
- Patient has had an inadequate response to at least one TNFα inhibitor with last dose at least 6 weeks prior to screening
- Use of oral DMARD (sulfasalazine, hydroxychloroquine, chloroquine and leflunomide) is permitted but must be stable for at least 3 months prior to screening
- Pregnant women or women who are breastfeeding.
- Other investigational therapy received within 8 weeks or five half-lives (whichever is longer) prior to Screening (except where otherwise excluded).
- Known or suspected alcohol or drug abuse within three years preceding Screening.
- Autoimmune disease other than RA (such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), mixed connective tissue disease, scleroderma, polymyositis/dermatomyositis, vasculitis)
- History of or current inflammatory joint disease other than RA (such as tophaceous gout, reactive arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis or other spondyloarthropathy, Lyme disease). Patients primarily diagnosed with osteoarthritis are excluded.
- Bedridden or confined to a wheelchair or patients with > 3 arthroplasties due to RA.
- History of diagnosed and/or treated malignancy (except for treated basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma of the skin or cervical carcinoma in situ with no evidence of recurrence).
- Surgical procedures planned to occur during the trial (these patients may be rescreened following completion of and recovery from the surgical procedure).
- Use of TNFα inhibitor for treatment of RA at time of screening or within the 6 weeks prior to screening.
- Prior use of more than two biologics in addition to TNFα inhibitors for treatment of RA.