Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Age 18-65y
- Male or non-pregnant female
- IBS by Rome III criteria with predominant symptom of diarrhea
- Baseline 14 day diary showing average of 2 days per week with >3 bowel movements per day
- Intake of medications that interfere with the study
- Antibiotic within prior 2 weeks and throughout study
- Prior abdominal surgery except appendectomy
- Active gastrointestinal diagnosis other than IBS
- History of allergy or intolerance to beef or to any ingredient in the investigational product
- Uncontrolled psychiatric disorders (includes significant depression or suicidal ideation), in investigator's judgment
- Use of tobacco products within the past six months or NSAIDs or aspirin within the past week (since they all may affect intestinal permeability)
- Bleeding disorders or medications that increase risk of bleeding from mucosal biopsies.
- For two days prior to studies, patients are instructed to avoid ingestion of artificial sweeteners such as Splenda™ (sucralose), Nutrasweet™ (aspartame), foods containing lactulose or mannitol.