To be eligible to apply for the KL2 Mentored Career Development Program, you must:

  • Have a doctoral degree in a discipline applicable to clinical research. These degrees include M.D.; Ph.D.; MBBS; M.B., Ch.B.; Dr. P.H.; D.O.; D.D.S.; D.M.D.; O.D.; D.C.; Pharm.D.; Psy.D.; D.N.S.; and D.Sc.N., though other doctoral degrees may be considered. KL2 scholars must have a Mayo Clinic appointment of research associate or higher (eligible to apply as a primary investigator for independent NIH funding).

    Biostatisticians, epidemiologists, behavioral scientists and nurses with doctoral degrees are also encouraged to apply. Preference is given to applicants with a doctoral GPA of greater than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.

  • Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. Permanent residents must have a U.S. Permanent Resident Card (form I-551) or other verification of their legal status as a permanent resident at the time of application. Individuals on temporary or student visas are not eligible.
  • Commit to 3 years in the program. During this time, at least 75 percent of your full-time professional effort must be devoted to the KL2 Program. The remainder of your time may be devoted to other clinical or academic pursuits that are consistent with the objective of developing a career as an independent clinical researcher. If sufficiently justified, scholars in certain clinical specialties, such as surgical specialties requiring enough patient care time to maintain skills, may have less than 75 percent effort, but no less than 50 percent effort.
  • Be pursuing a clinical and translational research project. For the KL2 Program, "clinical and translational research" includes epidemiological and natural history studies, translational research, patient-oriented research, clinical trials, and outcomes research that will lead to improvements in human health. See scholar profiles for examples of previously funded research.
  • Identify a mentor. At least one of your mentors must be an investigator at Mayo Clinic with extensive clinical or translational research experience.
  • Not be the recipient of an R01 or P award. You cannot have been a principal investigator on a National Institutes of Health (NIH) R01 award or on a subproject of a program project (P01), center (P50, P60 or U54) or other equivalent research grant award. You may have had support on a National Research Service Award grant (F or T series) or NIH small grant (R03).
  • Not have similar pending applications. You may not have any simultaneous submissions or pending applications for another Public Health Service mentored career development award, including any other K award mechanism.


Our Education Contacts page contains a listing of team members who can assist you with questions.