Pharmacy Shared Resource
The Pharmacy Shared Resource within the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center provides comprehensive pharmacy services for cancer-related clinical trials across Mayo Clinic's campuses in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota.
Its services are essential for protocol development, protocol initiation and patient treatment in clinical trials throughout the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Pharmacy Shared Resource supports about 300 active cancer clinical trials.
For Mayo Clinic Cancer Center members, the Pharmacy Shared Resource:
- Procures, stores and is accountable for commercial and investigational chemotherapy agents
- Provides safe handling and sterile admixture of cytotoxic agents, growth factors, immunomodulatory agents, antiemetics and supportive care medications for intravenous, intramuscular, subcutaneous and intrathecal administration
- Labels and dispenses medications for administration in treatment suites, the Clinical Research Unit and patients' homes
- Provides ambulatory intravenous pumps and medications for home infusion therapy
- Assists with protocol development and review, particularly budget, treatment, drug and adverse reaction sections
- Supports and oversees the Web-based Clinical Document Management Computerized Physician Order Entry System
- Manages chemotherapy-related inquiries to the Mayo Clinic Drug Information Service from physicians and allied health professionals in medical oncology and hematology
With special expertise in both investigational and commercially available cancer therapeutic agents, the Pharmacy Shared Resource ensures a uniformly high standard of safe, accurate treatment for Mayo Clinic cancer patients.
Policies and procedures in the Pharmacy Shared Resource are consistent with guidelines set forth by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists and with recommendations from The Joint Commission.
Darryl C. Grendahl, R.Ph.
Director, Pharmacy Shared Resource
Watch a video about the Pharmacy Shared Resource.