The research program of Francisco Lopez-Jimenez, M.D., studies obesity and cardiovascular disease from different angles, from physiologic studies assessing changes in myocardial mechanics and structural and hemodynamic changes following weight loss, to studies addressing the effect of physicians' diagnosis of obesity on willingness to lose weight and successful weight loss at follow-up.
Recent research projects include the analysis of large data sets assessing the diagnostic accuracy of body mass index, studying the best obesity-related measure to gauge prognosis in people with cardiovascular disease, and looking at studies showing that people can be obese despite a normal body weight. Dr. Lopez-Jimenez's research has also evaluated the cardiometabolic effect of bariatric surgery.
- Significance of body adiposity to cardiovascular risk
- Best measure of body adiposity to assess prognosis in people with cardiovascular disease
- Clinical value of measuring body fat percentage
- Effect of obesity and weight loss on myocardial function
- Limitations of body mass index in clinical practice
- National trends in cardiovascular risk
- Complex interaction between sleep apnea, metabolic dysregulation and cardiovascular disease
Significance to patient care
The overall goal of Dr. Lopez-Jimenez's research is to provide clarification for some of the ongoing controversies regarding body adiposity and cardiovascular disease.
- Chair, International Committee, American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, 2014-present.
- Member, International Council of Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation, 2013-present.
- Team Science Award, Artificial Intelligence Electrocardiogram team, Mayo Clinic, 2023.
- Member, board of directors, The American Society for Preventive Cardiology, 2012-2014.
- Member, Obesity Committee, Council on Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health, American Heart Association, 2010-2014.
- Member, Risk, Prevention and Health Behavior Integrated Review Group, National Institutes of Health, 2006-2010.