Timothy B. Curry, M.D., Ph.D., studies the autonomic nervous system, including its role in cardiovascular control and in insulin sensitivity, lipolysis and energy expenditure.
Dr. Curry conducts research in the Human Integrative Physiology and Clinical Pharmacology Laboratory and the Clinical Research Unit at Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, Saint Marys Campus, in collaboration with investigators from the Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering and the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, Metabolism, and Nutrition.
- Human physiology. Dr. Curry and his team use sophisticated techniques — such as system drug infusions, glucose clamps, radioactive tracer methods of macronutrient turnover and microneurography of sympathetic nerves — to study the physiology of human volunteer subjects. As one of the leading laboratories studying muscle sympathetic nerve activity with microneurography, Dr. Curry's group collaborates with researchers around the world.
- Perioperative clinical outcomes. Dr. Curry's other research interests include perioperative clinical outcomes, such as those in patients with diabetes.
- Environmental physiology. Additionally, he maintains an interest in environmental physiology and collaborates with colleagues in hyperbaric and altitude medicine to understand the role of oxygen in the control of cardiovascular and metabolic function.
Significance to patient care
Dr. Curry's research is focused on understanding the role that the sympathetic nervous system plays in blood pressure control and in insulin sensitivity. By understanding the role of the sympathetic nervous system, Dr. Curry and his colleagues hope to develop strategies for the prevention and treatment of related diseases.
- Midwest associate director, Clinical Implementation Medicine, Center for Individualized Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 2022-present
- Co-director, Clinomics Program, Center for Individualized Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 2020-present
- Vice chair for clinical practice, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 2017-present