Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Age > 18 and < 90 years.
- Willing to participate in the study and competent to provide informed consent.
- Willing to comply with protocol procedures.
- Has an underlying diagnosis of osteoarthritis indicated for a total hip or knee arthroplasty.
- A diagnosis of renal or liver disease.
- If a patient has a contraindication to receiving a spinal anesthetic or pain catheter.
- The patient must not have taken any narcotic medications during the 3 months leading up to the surgery.
- The patient must not be allergic or intolerant to a medication used in the multi-modal pain pathway.
- Revision hip or knee arthroplasty.
- If a patient is being treated under worker’s compensation.
- If a patient has diabetes.
- Unable to take aspirin 325 mg twice daily for deep venous thromboprophylaxis.