Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Signed and dated ICF prior to any study-mandated procedure;
- Male and female subjects; 18 years (or year of country specific majority) or older;
- Historical documentation in the subject's medical records on uncontrolled BP despite at least 3 background antihypertensive medications within 1 year before screening visit;
- Treated with at least 3 antihypertensive therapies of different pharmacological classes including a diuretic for at least 4 weeks before the screening visit (Visit 1);
- Mean SiSBP ≥ 140 mmHg measured by AOBPM;
- Women of childbearing potential are eligible only if the following applies;
- Negative pregnancy test at screening and at baseline (i.e., before randomization);
- Agreement to undertake pregnancy tests during the study and up to 30 days after randomized study treatment discontinuation;
- Agreement to use methods of birth control from Screening up to at least 30 days after randomized study treatment discontinuation.
Run-in period (RI):
- Switched to the standardized background antihypertensive therapy at least 4 weeks before the first RI visit;
- Mean trough SiSBP ≥ 140 mmHg as measured by AOBPM.
- Stable dose of the standardized background antihypertensive therapy since start of the RI period;
- Mean trough SiSBP ≥ 140 mmHg measured by AOBPM.
- Apparent/pseudo RHT due to white coat effect, medical inertia, poor therapeutic adherence, or secondary causes of hypertension (except sleep apnea);
- Confirmed severe hypertension (grade 3) defined as SiSBP≥180 mmHg and/or SiDBP≥110 mmHg as measured by AOBPM at two different timepoints;
- Pregnant or lactating subjects;
- Clinically significant unstable cardiac disease in the opinion of the investigator;
- Severe renal insufficiency;
- N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) ≥ 200 pg/mL;
- Any known factor, disease or clinically relevant medical or surgical conditions that, in the opinion of the investigator, might put the subject at risk, interfere with treatment compliance, study conduct or interpretation of the results.