Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Adult cardiac surgery patients.
- Ages > 18 years old.
- Complex cardiac surgery (valve/CABG; double valve; CABG/MAZE, Valve/MAZE or aortic arch surgery).
- Any re-do median sternotomy surgery, or hypothermic circulatory arrest surgery.
- Refusal of research.
- Vulnerable populations.
- Weight less than 110 lbs. (50kg), emergency surgery, hemoglobin on pre-op testing less than 10.5 gm/dl,
- Any non-complex first time surgery, known pregnancy.