Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.
- Patients must be ≥40 years old
- have a diagnosis of GOLD stage II, III, or IV COPD documented by pulmonary function testing
- have clinically significant breathlessness (breathless when walking on the level or walking a mild hill)
- be a current or previous smoker with at least 10 pack-years of cigarette smoking
- be hospitalized for an exacerbation of COPD.
- Patients with a high likelihood of being lost to follow-up or contact (patients with active chemical dependency), are planning to move out of the state, are not living in the healthcare area.
- Patients with an inability to provide good data or follow commands (patients who are disoriented, have a severe neurologic or psychiatric condition).