Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. If you need assistance understanding the eligibility criteria, please contact the study team.See eligibility criteria
- Females or males between 18 and 45 years of age
- Two of whom have been diagnosed with VCD based upon prior video laryngoscopy
- The other two of whom do not have known VCD or symptoms of VCD including:
- Excessive dyspnea
- Exercise intolerance
- Must be willing and able to participate in a submaximal ramp protocol exercise test on a stationary bike.
- Allergy to ultrasound gel
- Current neck infection
- Open skin lesion over the anterior neck
- Inability to access the skin of the anterior neck (e.g, large beard, neck flexor muscle spasm, etc)
- Laryngeal mass or tumor
- Prior laryngeal surgery
- Any condition that precludes the ability to perform a vigorous exercise test on a stationary bicycle (e.g., musculoskeletal pain, neurologic condition, peripheral vascular disease)
- History of a cardiac condition or cardiac surgery, more than one risk factor for coronary artery disease, or symptoms suggestive of a cardiac condition including palpitations, chest pain, or dizziness or loss of consciousness with exercise.