A Mobile Application for Next Generation Patient Evaluation, Follow-Up, and Outcomes Monitoring
Tab Title Description
Describes the nature of a clinical study. Types include:
- Observational study — observes people and measures outcomes without affecting results.
- Interventional study (clinical trial) — studies new tests, treatments, drugs, surgical procedures or devices.
- Medical records research — uses historical information collected from medical records of large groups of people to study how diseases progress and which treatments and surgeries work best.
- Rochester, Minnesota: 15-009386
Sponsor Protocol Number: 15-009386
About this study
The purpose of this study is to:
1. To use natural language processing techniques applied to Twitter posts during a 1 month pre and 3 month postoperative surveillance of patients undergoing spine surgery in an effort to identify risk of 30-day postoperative complications, as well as long-term improvement in symptoms.
2. To use signal processing analytics applied to mobility data gathered from smartphone accelerometers (e.g. iPhone health app) during a 1 month pre and 3 month postoperative surveillance of patients undergoing spine surgery in an effort to identify risk of 30-day postoperative complications, as well as long-term improvement in symptoms.
3. To correlate #1 and #2 with A. patient baseline disease severity with regard to functional status according to patient reported outcome surveys (e.g. Owestry Disability Index and PROMIS10), B. Postoperative changes with regard to the metrics defined in section A, and C. traditional postoperative quality metrics (e.g. 30-day readmission, reoperation, length of stay)
Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. There is no guarantee that every individual who qualifies and wants to participate in a trial will be enrolled. Contact the study team to discuss study eligibility and potential participation.
- Patients undergoing elective lumbar spine surgery at Mayo Clinic Rochester will be included in ICF#1.
- For ICF#2 it will include those who also have Twitter social media accounts and/ or an iPhone with iPhone Health App.
- For ICF#2 an added exclusion is that you need to be using social media or have an iPhone.
Participating Mayo Clinic locations
Study statuses change often. Please contact the study team for the most up-to-date information regarding possible participation.
|Mayo Clinic Location
Mayo Clinic principal investigator
Mohamad Bydon, M.D.
Closed for enrollment
Publications are currently not available