Occipital Nerve Stimulation (ONS) for Migraine: OPTIMISE
Tab Title Description
Describes the nature of a clinical study. Types include:
- Observational study — observes people and measures outcomes without affecting results.
- Interventional study (clinical trial) — studies new tests, treatments, drugs, surgical procedures or devices.
- Medical records research — uses historical information collected from medical records of large groups of people to study how diseases progress and which treatments and surgeries work best.
- Scottsdale/Phoenix, Arizona: 12-004513
NCT ID: NCT01775735
Sponsor Protocol Number: CDM00046436
About this study
The primary objective of this study is to evaluate the safety and efficacy of occipital nerve stimulation (ONS) using the Boston Scientific Corporation (BSC) Precision™ System in the management of intractable chronic migraine, when used in conjunction with anti-migraine medications.
Participant eligibility includes age, gender, type and stage of disease, and previous treatments or health concerns. Guidelines differ from study to study, and identify who can or cannot participate. There is no guarantee that every individual who qualifies and wants to participate in a trial will be enrolled. Contact the study team to discuss study eligibility and potential participation.
Key Inclusion Criteria:
- Onset of chronic migraine at least 6 months prior to start of Screening determined by a well-documented history
- Evidence of intractability
- Posterior-dominant head pain
- Stable pattern of headache symptoms for at least 6 months prior to the beginning of Screening
- Onset of migraine before the age of 50
- If female of childbearing potential: not pregnant, as evidenced by a negative pregnancy test
Key Exclusion Criteria:
- Diagnosed with any major psychiatric disorder not specifically listed in Key Exclusion Criteria 2-4 (e.g. multiple personality disorder, schizophrenia)
- Untreated panic disorder
- Untreated major depression evidenced by a PHQ-9 score >20
- Untreated generalized anxiety disorder evidenced by a GAD-7 score ≥15
- Currently diagnosed with severe personality disorder
- A female of childbearing potential planning to get pregnant during the course of the study or not using adequate contraception
- Participating in another drug, device, or biologics trial within 3 months prior to Screening
- A terminal illness associated with survival <24 months
Participating Mayo Clinic locations
Study statuses change often. Please contact the study team for the most up-to-date information regarding possible participation.
|Mayo Clinic Location
Mayo Clinic principal investigator
Bert Vargas, M.D.
Closed for enrollment
Publications are currently not available